We have a number of programs in schools (during school hours), as well some community-based programs. Please take a moment to review the programs we have available under the Programs tab, or click here …

The program of interest you select on your application may change once you learn more about the time commitments, structure, and start dates. This is okay.

In the Orientation and Training session you will learn more about each program individually. There is also an opportunity in your personal interview to make a final decision with the help of your interviewing caseworker.

The application and screening process is the same for all programs.

Volunteer Application


Your program of interest may not be available at the time of your application (for example, in the case of school-based group programs that have already started or are coming to a close), however we will do our best to accommodate your program of choice.

Some programs may have certain requirements (ex. the Traditional Match and SOAR programs require use of a car), which we will discuss with you in training or in your interview.

Game On, Go Girls, Physical Literacy and Connections Project have an additional training component.

Volunteer Application


1. Complete the volunteer application form.

2. Obtain a Vulnerable Sector Police Clearance. (Further instructions will be emailed to you after you submit your Volunteer Application.)

3. Attend a one-time Orientation and Pre-Match Training session (2 hours).

4. Attend a Personal Interview (1.5-2 hours on average).

Please be aware that the screening process takes, on average, 4-6 weeks.

Note: Volunteer mentors are required to be 18-years-of-age or older.

Volunteer Application


Q) I already have a police clearance, can I use this for my application with Big Brothers Big Sisters?

The agency can accept the police check so long as it meets the following criteria:

-it is the original (with seal, or embossment) copy

-it was issued no longer than 6 months ago

-it is the vulnerable sector type screening (versus a standard police clearance)

Q) Does my boyfriend/girlfriend/partner qualify as a significant other reference if we are not legally married, or live together?

Yes, we prefer to have a reference for a significant other/romantic partner over a family reference regardless of whether you are legally married, or live together.

Q) I do not have a reference form the vulnerable sector – link to definition, what should I do?

Although this is a preferred reference, if you have not volunteered or worked within the vulnerable sector, you can use a previous or current employment, or volunteer reference outside the vulnerable sector.

If you do not have an employment reference, you can use a teacher (ex. high school teacher, college or university professor).

Q) My reference does not have an email, which is required to submit the application. What should I do?

If the reference you are providing does not have access to or use an email account, please enter (or something similar). This will inform case manager that no email is available (applications are personally reviewed entered). Please keep in mind that references without emails can take longer to complete.


For additional questions, please contact:

Jessica Minkoff, Intake Case Manager | 905-525-3860 x309 |